SUBMIT A TIP | Fax # 309-839-4126
ABC - National News
Subscribe To This Feed

YinYang/iStock(WASHINGTON) -- Amid an influx of abortion-rights protests converging on state capitols, town squares and courthouses across the country Tuesday, seeking to counter an onslaught of anti-abortion bills sweeping across state legislatures, a slate of 2020 White House hopefuls may join protestors on the steps of the Supreme Court.

Among the 2020 candidates expected to voice support for abortion rights in the midst of a heated political battle are Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana, Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan, who once was anti-abortion but flipped his stance as he's moved further left over the years. California Congressman Eric Swalwell is one of the confirmed speakers for the planned demonstration.

The event is set to begin at noon, as abortion-rights advocates seek to "fight back against this unconstitutional attempt to gut Roe and punish women," according to the #StopTheBans website. The slew of protests were triggered by GOP-led efforts to pass restrictive anti-abortion measures aimed at fomenting a larger battle over Roe v. Wade in the nation's highest court.

Several states are seeking to mount legal challenges to Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion nationwide, including Missouri, which on Friday passed the most recent ban -- state lawmakers charged ahead with an eight-week abortion ban with no exceptions for rape, incest or survivors of human trafficking. Missouri Gov. Mike Parson is expected to sign the restrictive bill into law in the coming days.

Missouri followed a wave of conservative states passing restrictive abortion bans, including Kentucky, Mississippi, Ohio and Georgia. Lawmakers in those states approved "heartbeat" bills, which ban abortions after a fetal heartbeat is detected -- as early as six weeks into a pregnancy.

Alabama's ban, signed into law by Gov. Kay Ivey last week, imposes the harshest limitations of any state in the country -- a near-full ban on the procedure, not providing for any window of a pregnancy when abortion is legal.

"Across the country, we are seeing a new wave of extreme bans on abortion, stripping away reproductive freedom and representing an all-out assault on abortion access," states the event's website, which is hosted by groups such as NARAL Pro-Choice America, Planned Parenthood, All* Above All Action Fund, the ACLU and the Women's March. "This is Trump's anti-choice movement … and it's terrifying, particularly for women of color and low-income women who are most affected by these bans. ... Politicians shouldn't be making decisions best left to women, their families and their doctors."

Amid the the cacophony of outrage from abortion-rights groups, many among the field of 2020 Democratic hopefuls vying for the White House immediately condemned the anti-abortion efforts last week.

"It's nothing short of an attack on women's basic human rights and civil rights, and it's something women in America will have to fight against with everything they've got," Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., said on MSNBC.

"Access to safe, legal abortion is a constitutional RIGHT. Full stop," Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., wrote on Twitter.

"The Alabama legislature is ignoring science, criminalizing abortion, and punishing women," Buttigieg tweeted. "Instead, the government's role should be to make sure all women have access to comprehensive affordable care, and that includes safe and legal abortion."

"Republicans in AL, FL, GA, and OH are ushering in laws that clearly violate Roe v Wade and they should be declared unconstitutional," former Vice President Joe Biden shared on Twitter. "Roe v Wade is settled law and should not be overturned. This choice should remain between a woman and her doctor."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Across Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas on Monday there were 18 reported tornadoes among 124 damaging storm reports that also included grapefruit-sized hail in Texas.

Wind gusts exceeded 90 mph north of Oklahoma City as damage from strong storms was reported in western Oklahoma and southwestern Missouri.

A flash flood emergency was issued early Tuesday morning north of Tulsa when as much as 8 inches of rain fell. Flood alerts Tuesday morning stretch across seven states, from Texas to North Dakota.

On the back end of the system, snow is falling, including in areas south of Denver that saw 9 inches this morning. Parts of Interstate 70 were closed because of multiple accidents due to snow on Monday.

The massive storm that's ravaged the Plains is moving east Tuesday, with additional flash flooding and tornadoes possible in the mid-Mississippi Valley, from Little Rock into St. Louis. Large hail and damaging winds will be possible.

Over the next 24 to 48 hours, an additional half foot of rain is possible for parts of Missouri and Illinois.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

igorkov/iStock(KETCHIKAN, Alaska) -- A pilot and a passenger were killed in southeastern Alaska on Monday when a floatplane crashed into a harbor, officials said.

The victims were the only occupants on the Taquan Air floatplane when it crashed near Ketchikan at around 4 p.m., marking the Alaska-based airline's second fatal incident in a week.

Federal transportation authorities said the flight was a commuter flight, but didn't offer any other details on the crash.

Ketchikan officials declined to release the circumstances of the crash.

"The names of the deceased will not be released until next of kin have been notified," Ketchikan Gateway authorities said in a statement Monday. "Both individuals were brought to the Annette Island Service Unit. Good Samaritans have the aircraft in tow and are bringing the Beaver to the beach until it can be secured."

Taquan Air directed all inquiries about the incident to the National Transportation Safety Board, which is investigating the crash along with the Federal Aviation Administration.

The crash came exactly one week after a Taquan Air sightseeing plane collided with another aircraft over Alaska on May 13, killing six people. The FAA is investigating the cause of that crash as well.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

toddarbini/iStock(MELBOURNE, Ark.) -- Authorities in Arkansas are investigating a tractor accident that killed a 3-year-old boy.

Police responded to a call in northern Arkansas on Monday afternoon and said they found the toddler unresponsive at the scene.

First responders fought to administer life-saving efforts, but the child died a short time later, according to the Izard County Sheriff's Department.

The department said he died in a logging accident on a property in Melbourne, Arkansas, about 125 miles north of Little Rock. It did not disclose the circumstances of the accident, but it said he'd been ran over by the tractor.

Authorities have not released the boy's identity because his family has yet to be notified.

The toddler and his family received an outpouring of love on social media as county residents rushed to the sheriff's department's Facebook page to offer condolences.

"Please remember to send up prayers for the ambulance crew and first responders while remembering the family, these calls deeply affect them also, thanks," one Facebook user wrote.

"I couldn't even imagine having to respond to such a scene. Prayers for all responders, and prayers for the precious souls family," another user added.

The department's post racked up nearly 1,000 comments, reactions and shares in just a few hours.

Police did not offer details about the child's connection to the property, and the investigation is ongoing.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Lance Cpl. Benjamin McDonald/U.S. Marine Corps(NEW BERN, N.C.) -- A Marine Corps AV-8B Harrier jet crashed in Craven County, North Carolina, on Monday evening. The pilot ejected and was said to be unharmed, according to a Defense Department official.

The incident was under investigation.

Emergency crews were called to the crash about 6:15 p.m., Craven County Emergency Services Director Stanley Kite told ABC News affiliate WCTI-TV. He added that a fire from the crash was extinguished.

The pilot was taken to CarolinaEast Medical Center in New Bern, North Carolina, for evaluation, according to the Marine Corps statement. There were no reports of civilian casualties or property damage.

The plane was from the 2nd Marine Air Wing, which is based at Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point in North Carolina. Personnel from the air wing and the Havelock County Sheriff's Department initially responded to the scene, according to a statement from the Marine Corps.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Matt Seyler/ABC News(ANNAPOLIS, Md.) -- The U.S. Naval Academy freshmen scaled the Herndon Monument in the annual climb Monday.

The event was part of a tradition in Annapolis, Maryland, where the freshmen or "plebes" build a human pyramid and climb a 21-foot monument to replace the "dixie cup" hat with an upperclassman's hat. Finishing in one hour and five minutes, they beat last year’s time of two hours and 21 minutes.

Upperclassmen slathered the monument in nearly 50 pounds of vegetable shortening and freshmen were required to remove their shoes before they started.

"We call it the culminating event for the end of their freshmen year," said Jenny Erickson, a U.S. Naval Academy spokesperson.

The first recorded climb was in 1950, without grease. The greasy climb is a rite of passage for "plebes," or freshmen, to mark officially becoming Midshipmen 4th Class. Christian Schwein, 19, from the 27th Company, had the honor of placing the hat atop the monument this year.

According to tradition, the midshipman who gets the hat on top will become the first admiral in the class.

The Herndon Monument is named for Navy Cmdr. William Lewis Herndon, who "possessed the qualities of discipline, teamwork and courage."

Much like the monument, the climb represents the teamwork, and perseverance freshmen have to endure in the first year at the academy. In addition to their academic responsibilities, they undergo military-style training including six weeks of "Plebe Summer" which is similar to basic training in the military.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

KABC-TV(LOS ANGELES) -- Two horses died at Southern California's prominent Santa Anita racetrack over the weekend, marking 25 thoroughbred fatalities there in the last six months.

A pair of 3-year-old geldings sustained fatal injuries in separate incidents on Friday and Sunday as the embattled racetrack works and employ reforms to stem a rash of unprecedented horse deaths.

One of the horses, a male called Spectacular Music, sustained a rare injury to the pelvis while racing near the half-mile pole on Sunday, according to the track.

"The horse did not fall, but was pulled up at about the half mile pole at the discretion of Jockey Jorge Velez and vanned to receive a comprehensive evaluation by on-site world-class veterinarians," Santa Anita said in a statement Monday.

"Equine pelvic injuries are rare," it added, "and further evaluation is being conducted by the California Horse Racing Board, per protocol, to understand what could have caused this uncommon injury."

The other gelding, Commander Coil, died after sustaining a shoulder injury in a training session on Friday morning, the racetrack revealed Saturday.

"Equine shoulder injuries are rare, especially for a horse that is galloping as opposed to breezing or racing," a spokesperson for Santa Anita said in a statement to ABC News. "A comprehensive evaluation will be completed to understand what might have caused this uncommon injury."

Santa Anita Park, owned by the Canadian-based Stronach Group, postponed several races earlier this year and hired respected trackman Dennis Moore to help assess the condition on its main track.

Some experts attributed the cluster of thoroughbred deaths to inclement weather. Southern California had an unusual amount of rain this past season after many years of drought or near drought, which would have impacted the quality of the track the horses can run on safely.

"Every time it rains you seal the tracks as hard as it can get. So the water runs off of it," Clifford Sise, a veteran horse trainer currently working with 15 horses at Santa Anita and other tracks, told ABC News Saturday. "It would stop raining only three days, where you can really work on it. You need at least seven, eight days to dry out. To go to the bottom of it and the cushion and work on it. It was nobody’s fault."

At least 25 horses have died while racing or training since the track opened for the winter season on Dec. 26. The horse deaths prompted several investigations earlier this year, including a task force convened by the Los Angeles District Attorney's Office and the California Horse Racing Board.

The most-recent deaths were the first ones reported since track officials introduced a new reforms last month, track officials said.

"Before this catastrophic injury, unprecedented health and safety reforms were introduced at Santa Anita Park. From April 1 to May 18, there have been 698 starters on the main track and 651 starters on the turf course without fatalities," Santa Anita said in its statement Monday.

"The Stronach Group is committed to advocating for the health and safety of horses and riders and will continue to work with stakeholders in California and nationally to drive further progress,” it added.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Whitepointer/iStock(NEW YORK) -- A great white shark measuring nearly 10 feet long has been spotted in Long Island Sound off the Connecticut shore for the first time ever, researchers said on Monday.

The great white was being tracked Monday by the ocean research group Ocearch, the organization said on Twitter.

"Be advised! For the first time ever, we are tracking a white shark in the Long Island Sound," Ocearch researchers tweeted.

The group said the shark measures 9-feet-8-inches and was spotted off the shore of Greenwich, Connecticut.

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

kali9/iStock(AUBURN, Ala.) -- A former military man is in custody for allegedly gunning down an Auburn, Alabama, police officer and wounding two other officers, authorities said.

Grady Wayne Wilkes, 29, was arrested Monday morning after an overnight manhunt, said Auburn Police Chief Paul Register.

Wilkes allegedly fired at three officers when they responded to a "domestic disturbance" at the Arrowhead mobile home park Sunday night.

The shooting killed officer William Buechner who had been with the department for 13 years, said Register.

The two injured officers -- Webb Sistrunk and Evan Elliott -- are expected to recover, Register said.

The chief said this is the first time an Auburn officer has been killed during his 31 years at the department.

"This is probably the worst day of my time here. Words cannot express the loss," the chief said. "We're just trying to be there with our officers and those families right now."

Wilkes is charged with capital murder, three counts of attempted murder and second-degree domestic violence, authorities said. Prosecutors said they plan to pursue the death penalty.

Wilkes, who had been in the military for a number of years, had no run-ins with local police until the Sunday night shooting, said Register. The chief did not elaborate on Wilkes' military service.

Forty-three officers have died in the line of duty this year, down 34% from the same time period last year, according to the National Law Enforcement Memorial Fund.

"Three courageous young men ... went to protect us," Auburn Mayor Ron Anders said at a news conference. "We're very sorry that we have lost an officer in the line of duty. To his family, we are here with you. We will not leave you and we will stand beside you to help you get through this."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Photos597/iStock(WASHINGTON) -- A 16-year-old Guatemalan boy died Monday at a U.S. Border Patrol station outside of McAllen, Texas, a week after he was apprehended for trying to cross illegally, according to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

The cause of his death was unknown. It marks the third death of a child or teen in the past month after being apprehended at the border.

According to the CBP, the child was picked up on May 13 near Hidalgo, Texas and was transferred to the Weslaco Border Patrol Station in the Rio Grande Valley. The teen was awaiting transfer to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, an indication that he was traveling without a parent and was among the estimated 13,000 "unaccompanied" minors in government custody.

CBP said in a statement released Monday that the teen had been found unresponsive earlier in the day.

"The men and women of U.S. Customs and Border Protection are saddened by the tragic loss of this young man and our condolences are with his family," said acting CBP Commissioner John Sanders. "CBP is committed to the health, safety and humane treatment of those in our custody."

The U.S. is facing an unprecedented influx of migrant families, including teens and young children, from the Central American countries of Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. U.S. officials said Friday that they stopped some 4,500 undocumented migrants at the border in the past week, and more than half a million so far this fiscal year.

President Donald Trump has claimed via Twitter that he will simply stop allowing refugees inside the U.S., and there is one plan in place to make some refugees wait in Mexico. But that plan, called the "Remain in Mexico" policy has been limited in scope because of legal concerns. Also, U.S. law guarantees people the right to claim asylum and to plead their case to an immigration judge. The courts have also set a 20-day limit on the detention of minors.

A 2-year-old died earlier this month shortly after being released from U.S. custody. Before that, on April 30, another 16-year-old died after experiencing flu-like symptoms.

Last December, a 7-year-old girl and 8-year-old boy died in separate incidents. Both autopsies showed signs of bacterial infections.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Obtained by ABC News(NEW YORK) -- A New Jersey man who sparked widespread outrage by allegedly urinating on a park memorial for a 9-year-old boy said Monday he's sorry for his behavior and that he was so intoxicated he wouldn't have recalled the incident had his friend not taken a video and posted it on social media.

Bryan Bellace, 23, made no excuses for the incident that has left him a pariah in the Atlantic County, New Jersey, town of Mays Landing, where he was videotaped relieving himself on the shrine for Christian Clopp, a beloved boy who died in February 2012 after inspiring his community by waging a courageous battle with brain cancer.

"It was a big mistake I made. I was intoxicated. I didn't know what I was doing at the time," Bellace told ABC News on Monday when reached by phone. "When I came to my senses the next day, I realized I made a huge mistake. I wish I could take it all back and make things right."

Police in Hamilton Township, which encompasses Mays Landing, launched an investigation on Sunday after a video of Bellace allegedly urinating on Christian's memorial surfaced on social media and prompted residents to flood the police with angry complaints.

"Following the investigation into the disturbing video, the suspects were identified," police said in a statement.

After Christian's father, Mark Clopp, a former Hamilton Township police officer, posted a message about the vandalism on Facebook, numerous residents of the community showed up at Underhill Park and helped clean and disinfect the memorial, which is comprised of a plaque bearing Christian's picture on a large rock in the middle of a raised flower bed and next to a child's playground.

"I’ve heard from hundreds of people offering assistance. Friends and strangers went to wash the memorial off," Mark Clopp wrote in a Facebook post on Monday. "At the end of the day, the good outweighed and overwhelmed the bad. This is what Christian did during his life. He brought people together and he has accomplished that again."

Police quickly tracked down and arrested both Bellace and his buddy who shot the video, Daniel Flippen, 23, of Hammonton, New Jersey.

Bellace was charged with lewdness, disorderly conduct, criminal mischief and having an open alcoholic beverage in a park. Flippen was charged with having an alcoholic beverage in a park.

Reached by phone on Monday, Flippen declined to comment to ABC News.

But Bellace said he's reached out of Mark Clopp on Facebook and wants to apologize and "ask for forgiveness from the family."

"If he responds back to me, I wouldn't mind calling him and talking to him and give him my apologies. I never meant for this to happen. It should have never happened," Bellace said.

Asked if he was aware that he was urinating on a child's memorial, Bellace said, "To be honest with you, I don't even know how I got to the park. I don't remember being at the park. I got way too intoxicated for that."

Desmond Walker and Paul Burgan, both of Mays Landing, were among the residents who were angered by Bellace's alleged behavior and showed up Sunday to clean up Christian's memorial.

"As a single parent of two healthy kids, I couldn't imagine what that family is going through. I got really choked up," Walker told ABC station WPVI-TV in Philadelphia.

Burgan added, "It was a disgusting sight."

Mark Clopp said he carefully chose the words on Christian’s plaque, words he found hard to believe someone could desecrate after reading them: “A child who made the world a better place through his courage, faith, smile, laughter and love of others. May your memory and inspiration live on forever.”

He said he didn't know either Bellace or Flippen but had a message for them: "I have no idea what exists in your life to make you so indifferent to how others feel but I hope this serves as a wake-up call and you get the help you need."

He added, "I admit, my initial reaction was to find you and beat you senseless in defense of my son’s honor and the distress you caused my family. I am better than that. I hope it doesn’t take the heartache my family has lived through to open your eyes. Something is wrong in your life and you need to fix it."

Bellace said he got the message loud and clear.

"I just have to put one foot in front of the other and try to move on from this and maybe ask for forgiveness and do what I can in my power to make this right," he said.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Surveillance video of a man who attempted to start a fire at a synagogue in Chicago, May 19, 2019. (Chicago Police Department)(CHICAGO) -- Security is ramping up at Jewish sites in Chicago after an arson attempt and vandalism at synagogues this weekend, police said.

At Anshe Sholom B'nai Israel Congregation in Chicago's Lake View East neighborhood, an unknown man was caught on camera leaving a Molotov cocktail, according to the Chicago Police Department.

Three broken glass bottles with unknown substances inside and charred black cloth towels were found at the scene, said police.

No one was hurt and no buildings were damaged, police said.

"Someone attempted to violate the sacred space that serves as the beating heart of our vibrant community," rabbi David Wolkenfeld wrote in a letter to the congregation on Facebook. "Our response must be to rededicate ourselves to honoring the sanctity of our shul... we will stand together and support one another when we are frightened or in need of help."

Officers are also searching for a separate suspect wanted in for smashing three car windows outside of synagogues in the Rogers Park District this weekend, Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said.

In the wake the crimes, Chicago Police Deputy Superintendent Anthony Riccio ordered special attention at all Jewish schools, synagogues and businesses, Guglielmi tweeted on Sunday.

Rabbi Wolkenfeld said in his letter, "The police are not aware of any specific threat targeting our building or community. Nonetheless, over a period of many years, we have implemented a proactive security culture of constant improvement."

"Our security team is in regular and ongoing contact with local police, security professionals at neighboring congregations and with security consultants at local and national Jewish agencies," he said.

The United States had seen a decline in expression of anti-Semitism over the past several decades until three to four years ago, when it started to rise, according to John Cohen, a former acting undersecretary at the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and current ABC News contributor.

Of the 1,749 victims of anti-religious hate crimes in 2017, 58.1 percent were victims of crimes motivated by the perpetrators' anti-Jewish bias, according to statistics from the FBI.

The Anti-Defamation League recorded a total of 1,879 anti-Semitic incidents across the country in 2018, the third-highest year on record since the Jewish organization began tracking such data in the 1970s.

The rise in anti-Semitic expressions spans from harassment to vandalism to assault to murder to mass murder and "seems to be coinciding with a rise in public expressions of white supremacy," Cohen told ABC News in March.

"The themes promoted by white supremacist leaders and the language they use has now been promoted into mainstream political discourse," Cohen said. "[When] racist, mentally unwell, violence-prone individuals hear our elected officials promoting the ideological themes of white supremacy and anti-Semitism, then that serves to empower those people to action," he said.

Anyone with information about the Chicago arson attempt is asked to call police at 312-746-7618.

The suspect in the arson attempt "appears to be a male with a light skinned complexion, wearing a black jacket with a hoodie, black pants and black shoes and carrying a black bag," said police.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Miami Gardens Police Department(MIAMI) -- Police are searching for a Miami school district employee and mother of two who has been missing for five days. Kameela Russell, 41, who works as a test chairperson at Miami Norland Senior High School, was last seen by her family on Wednesday in Miami Gardens, the Miami Gardens Police Department said.

Russell, who is the mother of two daughters, ages six and 15, was supposed to pick up one of her children at a relative's house on Wednesday, but never arrived, ABC Miami affiliate WPLG reported.

"Kameela's family is incredibly worried about her and we @MDCPS are praying for her swift and safe return," Miami-Dade County Public Schools Superintendent Alberto Carvalho tweeted. "Please take a moment to look at her picture and call police if you have seen her."

The @MGPDFL is requesting the public’s assistance in locating 41 year-old Kameela Russell, who has been missing since May 15th, 2019.
If you have any information on her whereabouts, please contact the Miami Gardens PD at 305-474-6473. @nbc6 @wsvn @WPLGLocal10 @MiamiHerald

— Miami Gardens Police Dept. (@MGPDFL) May 17, 2019

Miami Gardens authorities did not immediately provide more information on the case.

Russell was last seen driving a 2014 black Audi A6 with license plate HBQJ20, according to police.

Anyone with information is asked to call the Miami Gardens Police Department at 305-474-6473.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

DNY59/iStock(WASHINGTON) -- A Native American hunter from Montana won his case at the Supreme Court on Monday, solidifying treaty rights for the Crow Tribe and overturning a state fine for poaching.

In a 5-4 decision, the court sided with Clayvin Herrera in his appeal of an $8000 fine from Wyoming in 2014 for hunting elk off-season, without a license in the state's Bighorn National Forest.

The decision clarifies court precedent that historical treaty rights between the U.S. government and Native American tribes did not implicitly end when a territory became a state.

Herrera argued that an 1868 treaty between his tribe and the federal government explicitly protected a right to hunt on "unoccupied lands" at any time. Wyoming claimed that the right disappeared when the state entered the union, and when the federal forest land was designated, making it "occupied."

"We disagree," Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote of Wyoming's argument in the majority opinion. "The Crow Tribe's hunting right survived Wyoming's statehood, and the lands within Bighorn National Forest did not become categorically 'occupied' when set aside as a national reserve."

Sotomayor, who was joined on the opinion by Justices Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer, Elena Kagan and Neil Gorsuch, invoked the court's precedent that "Congress must clearly express any intent to abrogate Indian treaty rights."

"First, the Wyoming Statehood Act does not show that Congress intended to end the 1868 Treaty hunting right," Sotomayor writes. "Nor is there any evidence in the treaty itself that Congress intended the hunting right to expire at statehood, or that the Crow Tribe would have understood it to do so."

As for whether a national forest constitutes "occupied" land, the majority wrote that the reserve could not be categorically considered such. But they left open the door for Wyoming to argue in lower court that a narrowly defined area in which Herrera was hunting was in fact occupied.

In a dissent, Justices Samuel Alito, John Roberts, Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh called the majority's reasoning "plainly contrary" to two Supreme Court precedents: an 1896 case which suggested that some Indian treaty rights extinguished with statehood, and a 1995 case which said Crow hunting rights had lapsed.

"This interpretation of the treaty is debatable," Alito wrote of the majority decision. "Even if the court's interpretation of the treaty is correct, its decision will have no effect if the members of the Crow Tribe are bound under the... holding that the hunting right conferred by that treaty is no longer in force."

The majority concluded that a 1999 Native American treaty-rights case "repudiated" and "undercut" the reasoning in the earlier decisions from 1896 and 1995.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- Over the weekend, 41 tornadoes were reported across eight states as severe storms again target the heartland.

Violent, potentially life-threatening tornadoes may strike western Texas and Oklahoma as the threat of severe storms stretches all the way into Kansas.

Six states also are under flood alerts, with flash flooding a major threat from Texas all the way up to North Dakota.

Some areas in Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas could see half a foot of rain.

Part of the system that delivered severe weather to the central U.S. over the weekend is moving into the Northeast Monday, producing strong to severe storms -- damaging winds, hail or isolated tornadoes can't be ruled out.

The biggest threats will be in from the Hudson Valley toward Albany, New York, and into New England.

Severe weather is forecast to continue on Tuesday, with the western storm moving east into the Midwest and parts of the mid-Mississippi Valley.

The biggest threat Tuesday will be damaging winds, large hail and a few tornadoes -- with the tornado threat largest in the morning.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.