Local News

On Thursday evening at approximately 5:05 Pm, Kewanee Firefighters responded to a call regarding a kitchen Fire at a residence on Lake Street. According to the Kewanee Fire Department, the blaze occurred in the kitchen of a home located at 1602 Lake Street. The fire was contained to just the kitchen area by responding firefighters though smoke damage was visible througout the home. Neither the residents of the home or firefighters were injured in the fire but firefighters were unsuccessful in reviving a dog which succumbed to smoke inhalation. Other animals in the home were rescued. All told, Kewanee Fire Fighters were on the scene of the fire for 1 hour and 5 minutes before leaving the scene to fire investigators who determined that the fire was accidental. There is no word on the total cost of the damage to the home. Kewanee Firefighters were aided at the scene by Kewanee Police Officers.