Local News


The Wednesday afternoon fire that destroyed the home of Edd Bickers at 814 May Street  appears to have been a natural gas explosion, according to Capt. Landon Horrie of the Kewanee fire department.

Capt. Horrie said it appears there was a leak from “some sort of appliances” inside the home.

Firefighters were called in at 4:30 Wednesday afternoon and arriving firefighters found the home fully engulfed with some ”big fireballs."

Mr. Bickers' son has reported that his father is being treated at a Springfield hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

“He's a lucky person, if you see the condition of the house,” said Capt. Horrie.

Capt. Horrie said Wednesday's fire was fed by a gas line that had to be shut off by Ameren 60 to 90 minutes into the response.

Fire crews remained on the scene until 10-10:15 p.m. Wednesday and the fire remains under investigation.